Aguada Fort - Taj

360: 


Overview

Distance from Panjim: 
13 km
Geo: 
North Goa
Location: 
Candolim

Aguada Fort is one of the best preserved Portuguese forts in Goa. It was built in 1609-12, to control the entry into the river Mandovi and to protect Old Goa from potential enemy attacks. The fort is located on the mouth of river Mandovi, it was constructed in 1612 to block invasions from the Dutch and the Marathas. The walls of this fort are 5 metres high and 1.3 metres wide which made it difficult for the invaders to breach.The Aguada fort was once home to 79 cannons. It has the capacity of storing 2,376,000 gallons of water, one of the biggest freshwater storages of the time in whole of Asia. This fort is divided in two segments: the upper part acted as fort and watering station, while the lower part served as a safe berth for Portuguese ships. The fort also has a secret escape passage to use during time of war and emergency.The area around the fort housed a large well and a number of springs that provided fresh drinking water to the voyagers who arrived by ship. "Agua" in Portuguese means water, thus the fort derived its name "Aguada" to denote a place where water is accumulated. The fort also accommodates a 13 metre high lighthouse. This lighthouse, built in 1864, initially used an oil lamp. It was later renovated and modernised in 1976. This lighthouse was home to a gigantic bell that was retrieved from amongst the ruins of the St. Augustus monastery at Old Goa. However, the bell has now been moved to the Our Lady of Immaculate Conception church at Panaji.







What's nearby?

  • Airport
  • Bus stop
  • Hotel
  • Lifeguard
  • Parking
  • Public restroom
  • Railway station
  • Restaurant
  • Shack
  • Smoking allowed
  • Taxi/Cab