Se Cathedral

360: 


Overview

Distance from Panjim: 
10 km
Geo: 
North Goa
Location: 
Old Goa

Se Cathedral is one of the most ancient and celebrated religious buildings of Goa. The construction of Se Cathedral in Goa started in 1562 and ended in 1652. It is Built on a raised laterite plinth and covered in lime plaster, this cathedral measures 250 feet(76 m) in length, 181 feet(55 m) in breadth whilst its frontispiece stands 115 feet(35 m) high. The construction of this imposing structure began in 1562 during the reign of King Dom Sebastiao(1557-78) and substantially completed by 1619. The main altars however were not finished until the year 1652. Catherine of Alexandria holds a special place among the prophetic saints in the church because of her role as philosophical defender of the faith. She is also the patroness of Christian philosophers besides being the patroness of the City of Old Goa, aka Velha Goa or Goa Velha. The Cathedral is located opposite to the famous UNESCO World Heritage Site, The Basilica of Bom Jesus.








What's nearby?

  • Airport
  • Bus stop
  • Hotel
  • Lifeguard
  • Parking
  • Public restroom
  • Railway station
  • Restaurant
  • Shack
  • Smoking allowed
  • Taxi/Cab