Shantadurga Temple

360: 


Overview

Distance from Panjim: 
30 km
Geo: 
North Goa
Type: 
Location: 
Ponda

This beautiful temple whose foundation stone was laid in 1730 is dedicated to Shantadurga, the goddess who mediates between Vishnu and Shiva. The Shantadurga Temple was completed in 1738 and renovated in 1966. It is situated at the foothill of Kavalem village in Ponda Taluka. The temple complex is on the slope of the foothills of a mountain chain, surrounded by lush vegetation. There is a main temple and three smaller temples of other deities which have been built on three sides of the temple. The temple consists of a collection of pyramidal roofs with an interesting dome. The pillars and floors are made of Kashmir stone. The temple has a huge tank, a Dipa Stambha and agrashalas (guest houses). The original temple at Cavellossim (Quelshim) in Salsette was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1564. The deities were shifted to Kavalem(the present location) and worship was continued there. There is some confusion regarding the exact date of shifting of these deities to a new place. However, as per the Portuguese records the deities were shifted sometime between 14 January 1566 and 29 November 1566.







What's nearby?

  • Airport
  • Bus stop
  • Hotel
  • Lifeguard
  • Parking
  • Public restroom
  • Railway station
  • Restaurant
  • Shack
  • Smoking allowed
  • Taxi/Cab